Yet another post on handwriting recognition of Japanese and Chinese characters with Tegaki. This time I want to improve recognition rates of existing models.
Just recently this blog has seen a post about Tegaki. It's a handwriting recognition system for Chinese Characters/Kanji, and I tried a bootstrapping process for a missing model of Traditional Chinese. Yesterday I started to think about other possibilities of Tegaki and wanted to try recognizing single strokes.
Just yesterday, I committed a new list of character decompositions to cjklib, that was gratefully released under LGPL by Gavin Grover. While until now the about 500 entries served more as a proof of concept, we now have more than 20.000 decompositions spanning the most important characters as encoded by Unicode.
So I wanted to do something nice with this new set of data. I picked the Tegaki project which offers handwriting recognition for Kanji and Hanzi, the latter for Simplified Chinese. I remember showing off the Qt widget I developed to a friend, who then promptly drew a Traditional Chinese character that couldn't be recognized. That was of course because Tegaki (and back then Tomoe) doesn't support Traditional Chinese. Until now.
Having built Tomoe for Debian I was ready to go to develop a nice widget implementing the basic features of Tomoe giving you the TomoeHandwritingWidget.